Sunday, December 10, 2006

Summer Opportunites 1 Backup

AN: Well, here it is. My very first fanfic that I will start and vow to finish. Hopefully. If I don’t I give you permission to smack me, flame me, etc. I really do want to end something I start for once. Anyways, this is my first full piece so please bear with me for corny, fast, or pointless scenes. I’ll have to work my mood up to this. Sometimes my brain is a total blank and a stare at the screen for hours. Knowing my likeness for variety, I like all sorts of OOC parings, like Kag /Sessh, Rin /Sessh, etc. But of course my favourite pairing of all time is currently Sesshoumaru and Kagome. I just can’t help but put the icy lord and the optimistic miko together. Of course, I prefer present time settings as I’m not confident writing about the feudal era quite yet. My knowledge is decidedly lacking in that area. Forgive me for any mistakes or things that don’t make sense. (Example, having a Halloween chapter after a Christmas chapter.) I’ll stop rambling now and get on with it. Please R & R!
Sincerely,
Che-chan
Disclaimer: I hereby announce that I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters. (Unfortunately)
Chapter 1
She never wanted to come to this camp. She really, really didn’t want to come here at all. But of course, seeing how fate hated her, Kagome ended up being forced to go anyways.
The 18 year old graduate had just gotten over the whole ‘finishing high school’ thing, and was waiting for letters back from the colleges she had applied for, and then boom! Her mom dropped the bomb. Not literally speaking of course. But it might as well have been, considering Kagome’s reaction was just as explosive.
"What do you mean, I’m going to a summer camp? I thought I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to stay home during my last summer at home. What about my plans? My friends! How come you never even mentioned anything about this before?" Kagome took a deep breath and was about to continue ranting, when her mother wisely interrupted.
"Come now, Kagome dear. I thought you would’ve loved to experience something like this. You’ve never been to a camp or anything before on your own for more than a few days time. It’ll be good for you to get away from home during the summer. That way you’ll be broken in by the time you decide on a college and pack up. It won’t be a short term thing honey. I just thought some practice of being away from family and friends would do you good so this whole moving away thing wouldn’t be quite a shock. Please understand, Kagome!"
"Oh, I understand perfectly fine, mom. That’s why I’m refusing. No! I will not be shipped off to some strange camp on a cramped bus full with other people that I don’t know! I wanted to spend the whole summer with my friends before I go away. I won’t be able to see them for at least a few months once school starts again!"
Her mother was the one who took a deep breath this time. It seemed her stubborn daughter was trying her patience. "Listen, Kagome. Whether you like it or not, you are going to this camp. You have no choice in the matter. As a parent I know what’s best. That’s final!"
Kagome sucked in a breath sharply as her mothers words came to her. "That’s not fair!"
Mrs. Higurashi just sighed wearily before walking out of the kitchen. "Life’s not always fair, honey. You might as well get used to it."
And that’s how she had ended up on a crowded bus, hot enough to be an oven. The noise had reached a level so high that Kagome had long given up trying to prevent herself from getting a headache. High-spirited teens chatted loudly to their seating partners as they awaited their destination. It seemed the only person who didn’t want to be there was Kagome herself.
She had pretty much narrowed down the conversations to three general categories for the females. On the girl’s point of view, it was "Oh did you see how hot that guy we passed earlier was? He was so tanned! And his..." Or there was "And then she was like....and I was like oh my god! And then he was like..." Then finally, "Have you seen that new film out? It was like, so lame! I know! I swear, I was so close to walking out...You too? I know...oh my god..."
And so on. Kagome’s life had been degraded to listening to teenage gossip. Gag. She wouldn’t even make the trip there if things kept up like this.
"Hello, there!"
Kagome practically jumped out of her seat, as a voice suddenly spoke up right behind her. She quickly regained her neutral but pleasant composure and turned around to face the cheerful speaker...
...To see a pretty girl about her age with big brown eyes long brown hair done up in a low ponytail. Her grin almost covered her entire face and made her large eyes seem even larger as they sparkled with undisguised mirth. "I’m Hitomi, Sango. It’s nice to meet you."
"Um...Higurashi, Kagome," she hesitantly replied as the girl eagerly shook her hand.
Sango seemed to laugh at her bewilderment. I’m sorry if I seem so forward, but I’ve always been known to be over friendly and introduce myself to random people. I hope I didn’t scare you too much. It seemed her smile could get even wider.
Kagome shook her head quickly, and managed a timid smile. "Oh no, it’s alright. I was just caught off guard, that’s all. It’s really easy to go off into your own world around here."
The girl nodded enthusiastically, before bouncing out of her seat and sliding beside Kagome. "Yeah, I catch myself daydreaming all the time. So, are you excited?"
The sudden change of subject made Kagome struggle for a response before simply questioning, "excited?"
"For going to the summer camp of course!" Sango exclaimed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "This is supposed to be the best on around Tokyo! They have the largest dojo ever, and a lot of stables where the riding horses are. I heard they even hold competitions!"
The last statement piqued Kagome’s interest. "Competitions? And a dojo?" It was certainly more than she had expected. Her basic view of a summer camp was long hikes, childish games, campfires with marshmallows, and cold baths in the lake. Apparently they had upped the system since then.
"Yes, of course! Almost all the camps have dojos now, even though most of them are small. But this is one of the few camps that actually have annual competitions! There’s some for everything. Sparring, Boxing, archery-"
"Archery?" Kagome squeaked, excitement leaking through her voice for the first time in 5 days.
Sango laughed at the girls constant mood swings. "Yes silly, they have archery as well. Almost any sport you can think of. What did you think it would be like? The stone age?"
The girl blushed in reply and mumbled an excuse before turning to look out the window.
"Well I can see this is going to be an interesting summer."
Kagome turned an indignant look at Sango’s comment, but the girl merely laughed again. "Come on Kagome- san, cheer up! We’re almost there now, and I can show you around. This is my third year at Camp Taisho."
And that’s when the trouble really began.
Fifteen minutes later, an ecstatic Sango dragged a resistant Kagome through the mobs of people to the end of the quickly forming line. It seems you had to go through a whole registration process, identify yourself, and get your cabins assigned.
"Don’t worry, the first day is always a little slow with getting organized, but I’ll make sure to give you a tour so you’re not completely lost. I was always confused where everything was my first year. The Taisho company bought quite a chunk of land to run this camp on. I heard they’re one of the most successful businesses in Japan right now. Imagine what you could do with all that money!"
Kagome could barely keep up with Sango’s constant chatter, and merely nodded her head once in awhile to show she was listening. It seemed the line was barely moving.
"Um...Sango-san?" Kagome inquired as they were almost to the front of the line. "Where are we supposed to go after this?"
"To find your cabins of course! That way you’ll get acquainted with your cabin mate, and unpack so you can explore and remember your way around a little bit before tomorrow when all the activities start."
"Right. Wait, cabin mate? We’re sharing rooms?" Kagome shivered at the thought of sharing her living space with a total stranger. Worse, a strange guy.
Sango seemed ignorant to her inner turmoil, and laughed again. "They don’t have enough cabins to let everyone have their own, you know. People have to share these days Kagome- san. Don’t worry, they’ll only put girls with girls, and boys with boys. That way no incidents occur."
Kagome swallowed thickly and stared at the ground the remaining wait. She must wanted to disappear and go back home where she felt safe. What would happen if she couldn’t handle a couple months, let alone a few years on her own when she went off to college? Maybe her mom was right.
So engrossed in her thoughts, the anxious girl failed to look where she was shuffling forward, and found herself knocking into someone beside her, and fell painfully on her backside with a startled yelp.
Immediately worried that the person she had run into might have fallen as well, Kagome quickly apologized. "I’m sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going."
"That part is evidently clear. Perhaps you should invest in a pair of glasses," a deep mocking voice spoke above her.
Currently rubbing her bruised tail bone, Kagome’s head snapped up at the rude comment to face a pair of cold amber eyes. "Well excuse me for not paying attention to you enough! Perhaps I should be more careful the next time I bump into you, and knock you to the ground instead!"
As the masculine figure tilted his head, she was able to get a better view of his face when the sun angled differently. She could’ve almost cried out again in shock. This was no ordinary guy! He was the most gorgeous person she had ever seen! Not that Kagome was one to ogle the opposite gender for too long.
"Your lack of manners is grating on my nerves girl. Please desist your attempts to regain your measly pride and close your mouth before something falls into it."
Kagome’s mouth automatically snapped shut as she inwardly fumed. Standing as gracefully as she could, she wiped off the dust on her clothes, and glared at the offending figure before her. "Why don’t you just head off the way you were going before this happened and we’ll both be happy. I don’t take to kindly to qualified jerks like you."
The young man’s eyes narrowed significantly at her bold remark, and he seemed to grow a little more intimidating. "Watch what comes out of your mouth, before it gets you into trouble. You may find that not everyone will take it so kindly." With that, he stalked gracefully off, leaving a gaping Kagome in his wake.
"That asshole!" Kagome growled furiously. Before she could open her mouth to yell an insult after him however, there was a tap on her shoulder.
"You really do have quite a temper there, Kagome- san. But if I were you, I would watch my attitude around guys like him. You could end up seriously hurt one day if you piss someone off too much."
"Excuse me girls, but you’re holding the line up," a stern voice broke through the haze Kagome’s mind had entered, and she quickly became flustered.
"Ah, I’m sorry Ma’am. I’m Higurashi, Kagome." With that matter done, she handed the lady two pieced of ID and received a key along with a cabin number and schedule.
A quick thank you, and a short walk later Kagome found herself in front of a small building, that could’ve almost passed for a regular storage shed. I’m supposed to live in that tiny thing for two months?
After fitting the key and stepping inside, Kagome knew right away which bed she was going to take. That could be because the other one was almost completely covered in suitcases, boxes, and other things which she didn’t care to observe further. It seemed her ‘cabin mate’ had already made herself at home.
"Oh well," Kagome mumbled to herself. It’s not like the situation could get much worse.
And that’s when she met Kagura.
Che-chan
A/N: Yes, I know it’s short. Only four pages. It’ll be longer next time, I promise. If it isn’t I give you permission to bite me. Anyways, a short sweet introduction just to give you a glimpse to the direction in which the story may go. If you don’t like Sessh/Kag or Inu/Kik pairings I suggest you not to read this. Until next time everyone! My updates are very slow, so I’ll warn you now. Check back in a couple weeks. XD

No comments: