Sunday, December 10, 2006

Of Demons and Angels 1 Backup

May 9,2006
Of Demons and Angels
Chapter 1-Hazel
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the original characters of the series. Darn.
It wasn’t a bad day, really. I was packed and ready to go while the sun was shining. However, I couldn’t help but feel a little home sickness as I looked wistfully back at my family’s shrine. It’s where we lived. A shrine might seem kind of old fashioned, but other than the god forsaken stairs it suited me just fine. I quickly ran my fingers through my dark wavy hair, and put it back into a high ponytail. Another sweep of the area, and I got onto the bus.
You see, I was going off to camp this summer. My mom finally got a job and she wanted me to get out and do something different this year. I protested at first, but there was nothing I could say that would change her mind. With my duffel bag bulging with clothes and other necessities, I sat down and turned on my mp3.
The bustle and chatter of the other passengers died down behind the sound of my music. I didn’t turn it up too loud though, my ears always seemed to be on the sensitive side, picking up the littlest of sounds. I yawned quietly, my lack of sleep the previous night finally showing. My three friends, Yuka, Ayumi, and Eri hadn’t wanted to come with me so I was on my own.
__________________
3 hours later
"Alright everyone, start getting your stuff we’re almost there!" The driver’s voice roused me from my light sleep as I blearily opened my eyes.
I looked outside the window, and to my amazement saw acres of forest, and in the middle was dozens of cabins surrounded by a lake and also a few dojo training halls. Also, if I peered closely I could make out a number of trails going through the forest.
Ten minutes later, I found myself unloading myself off the bus and at the entrance of Ashura Camp. I wondered how my mother could afford to send me to such a place for two months. We weren’t exactly the most stable family when it came to financial terms.
After everyone managed to organize themselves into a group outside of the bus, an employee began to take roll call. I listened as she called the names in case I recognized anyone. I didn’t.
"Higurashi, Kagome!"
I quickly raised my hand. "Here!" Glancing around, I noticed a girl eyeing me curiously. Catching my stare, she came over.
"Hey, do you go to Takamada High?"
I nodded slowly, observing her athletic figure, and long hair. She currently had it pulled back into a high ponytail, while her brown eyes gazed thoughtfully into my blue ones.
She slowly smiled, and put out her hand in a friendly gesture. "So do I! Well, I will be next year anyways, so you’ll probably see me. My name is Taiya, Sango. I recognized your name from the Higurashi shrine. I knew it was in the same area so..."
I quickly shook her hand, smiling in return. "Higurashi, Kagome. It’s nice to meet you. You’ve...been to our shrine before?"
"Oh yes, I went to see the ancient tree. I believe it is called the Goshinboku?"
I grinned at her knowledge of the legend of our tree seen in our front yard. "Yes, it is. They say that once a powerful demon was pinned against that tree under a spell 500 years ago."
Sango seemed to be intrigued at my story. "Really? What kind of demon was it?"
I glanced at her, slightly startled at her question. Out of all the things for people to ask, I had never heard of someone wondering what type of demon it was...I always assumed they were all similar. "I...don’t know. Er, an evil demon?"
Sango frowned, clearly disappointed. "Oh, I see. You aren’t familiar with youkai very much are you?" I looked at her, slightly confused and a little insulted...she had stated it like I should know stuff that. "Well, no. I mean it’s not as if they’re real or anything. I just know that there are stories where the evil youkai destroy this, or kill them. I didn’t realize there were different kinds."
Sango seemed slightly embarrassed. "Oh well, excuse me. I hadn’t realized. I just assumed since you lived at a shrine and such. My family are experts on the youkai race. We study on the weaknesses of the different species, their strengths, special abilities and so on." She flushed again. "Oh but why am I babbling, you probably aren’t interested at all."
I had to admit that I actually was. "So...what do you mean by different types of youkai? Is it like a disease?"
Sango laughed, clearly amused. "Oh no! There is no way a human can become a youkai unless..." She seemed to pause and started again. "Anyways, usually youkai are named by the animal they seem to take after. There are Inu, Kitsune, Neko, Centipede, Panther, Wolf, Spider and so on. There are so many kinds even we can’t keep track of them all! But the rarest you’ll find are ha-"
"Alright everyone, come here and give us your name and we’ll assign you a cabin name. Everyone line up accordingly!" The lady’s voice interrupted Sango’s speech as she raised her hand up to call order. It seemed everyone was accounted for.
Sango smiled apologetically. "I guess that means we’re supposed to stop talking now. I’ll tell you later, alright?"
I grinned, nodding in agreement. I wasn’t aware there was so much more to the legends that I didn’t know. Well, not legends exactly. The characters of the legends. I tried to imagine what an Inu or Kitsune Youkai would look like as I lined up behind a bunch of people.
That’s when someone slammed into me from behind, and I fell forwards, automatically grabbing and crashing into the person in front of me. This is what I got for not paying attention.
"S-sorry!" I bowed in apology to the figure I knew must be glaring at me. But when I looked up, I wasn’t prepared for the cold gaze they gave.
"Get some glasses, girl."
I blinked, confused at first but quickly became angry. How dare he? That’s when I noticed the strange colour of his eyes...they were hazel. Whoever heard of a Japanese person having green eyes? And his hair was really light blonde. I shrugged. Must be a new style.
That’s when I realized I had finally reached the front of the line.
"Name," the lady asked in a bored voice.
"Higurashi, Kagome," I replied promptly, not wanting to try her patience.
She quickly scanned the list and gave me a number and a key, then turning back called ‘next!’
"Number 36..." I mumbled to myself, while searching for my delegated cabin. There were so many of them lined up it wasn’t even funny. I was currently at 54.
About five minutes and a few curses later, I stood in front of a very square, and very brown cabin. Looking at it intently, I found it had 2 windows and probably more than one room. Fitting the key in quickly I quietly opened the door, pleased it made no noise.
Locking the door behind me just in case, I scanned the area, and noticed there were two small rooms. I was going to have a room mate? Noticing the other person hadn’t gotten here yet I quickly chose a room and unloaded my stuff. Two months worth of clothes and everything else made sure my bag was stuffed- and weighed a ton.
After about a half hour of trying to organize everything, (which was very frustrating let me tell you) I was finally satisfied. With a quick nod and grin I hopped towards the front door, eager to explore outside. However, someone beat me to it, as the door opened just as my hand was on the nob. Unprepared for the change of balance, my arms flung wildly in front of me and I landed flat on my face.
Yes that’s right, the dirt got everywhere, and I started coughing and groaning, sitting up with my now brown patched clothes. It figures whoever barged in decided not to catch me.
I scowled angrily. I had just washed this outfit! Didn’t anyone know how to knock these days? That’s when I remembered I had locked the door...hadn’t I? Frowning, my eyes still trying to rub the dirt out of my eyes I tried to recall the moment.
That’s when I realized someone’s shadow was still looming over me, waiting to be acknowledged. I looked up timidly, wondering who would be staying with me. I knew it probably wasn’t Sango considering she would probably be laughing her head off by now. She seemed like the type of person to that.
Cold hazel eyes stared back at me.
I jumped slightly, caught off guard. God, this guy was scary! He stood without making a sound, holding one expensive looking duffel back and a long...case? Who knew what was in there...
"Are you going to sit there all day blocking the entrance, or are you going to get up sometime today?"
I sat dumbfounded for a moment, before finding my senses and managing to give him a half-hearted glare. "I haven’t decided yet." With that, I flounced back up, leaning on the door frame. "What do you want?"
He sneered slightly, obviously thinking that was a stupid question. Well...I guess it couldn’t been at the time. "I happened to be on my way to unpack my things at the moment, but your unwanted presence seems to be in the way. Care to move aside?"
I fumed silently, clenching the door frame, and narrowing my eyes even more. "Yes actually, I do care. This is my-" I stopped suddenly, realizing what he just said. That meant...oh my god he couldn’t be the one I had to put up with for the next two months!
He seemed to know my change in demeanor, as he raised an eyebrow, but still managed to sneer. "Something wrong, girl?"
I turned my attention back to him, finally acknowledging that there was no choice. I would just avoid him as much as possible. "Not a thing." I stepped aside, fully intent on stomping away, when I remembered something else. Turning back to him again, with as neutral a voice I could come up with, I looked at him. "Oh, and by the way-my name is Kagome."
And that was that.
End.
A/N: And that’s it for the first chapter everyone! I know it was really short, but it’s just sort of an introduction so don’t worry, the others will be much longer. ^^ My fanfics aren’t extremely long, but I try to keep them at a normal pace. I find it annoying when they’re either really short where the characters all of the sudden are all over each other, or when it drags on so long you’re falling asleep. So if I do anything like that let me know! This is my first story, so please R & R! I appreciate comments and opinions, but please no flames. Thanks for reading!
Kou-chan

No comments: